Monday, July 8, 2013

Ribs

Ribs / 11 x 7.5 in / watercolor on watercolor paper / 2012

I've always been fascinated by bones. Being a dancer I've always seen bones and how people can use them in a different way. Watch a ballerina (like Gillian Murphy) dancing and you can see how their bones create such perfect lines. This sparked my interest in bones and anatomy at a young age. Ribs are by far my favorite set.



Repica skeleton from the Natural History Museum

I was very surprised by myself with this one (the painting, that is). I love the colors and the shading of the ribs and spine. It's not anatomically correct, obviously, but there is something sweet an whimsical about these (and that's really how I feel about bones in general). 

Doing this painting also inspired a series (to be posted later) of colorful bones: fingers, toes, and a skull.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive